I learned to make this when I used to live in Hyderabad from a neighbor. It makes good use of bread when the expiry date comes knocking. We make it sometimes for breakfast and also for my daughter’s school lunchbox.
- 6 slices brown bread cut into small cubes (preferably stale bread)
- 1 large onion chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander greens finely chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tsp. Black gram
- 1 tsp. chaana dal (Bengal gram)
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
Add oil in a pan. Temper it with 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black gram and chaana dal. Allow them to splutter. Add chopped onion, green chilies and ginger. Fry till onion turns translucent. Add tomato and green peas followed by all dry spice powders, sugar and salt. Mix well.
Pour half a cup of water to it and add bread pieces. Toss them. Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve hot.