I first had this in Thiruvananthapuram, in god own country, Kerala. We were served the mutton stew along with appam. This is mildly spiced and very soothing in the coconut milk broth. It goes great with steaming white rice as well.
- 1lb. mutton (I used goat Meat)
- 1” ginger cut into thin strips
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 medium potatoes cut into halves
- 1 medium carrot cut into big chunks
- 5 – 6 French beans cut into 2” long pieces
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 5 – 6 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 2, 3 bay leaves
- 1 twig of curry leaves
- 1tsp. pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Whole garam masala
- 1” cinnamon stick
- 2,3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 star anise
Heat oil in a cooker. Add garam masala and wait till you smell the fragrance. Add chopped ginger, garlic to it. Fry on medium heat.
Add other vegetables and sauté them on high heat for few minutes. Add mutton pieces and sear them on high heat. Add bay leaves and salt to it and mix well. Pressure cook it for five minutes.
Let the steam settle down. Add crushed black pepper powder and curry leaves and stir well. Pour thick coconut milk and cook everything together for another five minutes.
Traditionally this stew is served with appam.