I had my first trifle pudding at my neighbor Deepti’s place. She made it with ice-cream. Here’s an alternate recipe that I use which utilizes fat-free cool-whip instead of ice-cream and hence is more healthy. In case you want to indulge in ice-cream just replace the cool-whip in the recipe with vanilla ice-cream.
First the Cake
You can either choose to bake your own base layer cake or you can use sponge cake bought at the store. So if you are lazy run to you nearest store and skip to the next section.
- 1cup all purpose flour or Maida
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick salt free butter
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl mix the baking powder and flour and keep aside
- In a mixing bowl mix the butter and sugar till they are frothy
- Next add eggs one by one followed by flour mix (the one made in step 2 above)
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well. You can also use a regular blender or cake mixer to make this process faster.
- Grease a 9" baking pan with butter and pour the cake mixture into it.
- Bake for approximately 45 mins. Insert a knife or toothpick inside the cake, if it comes out clear (nothing sticking to it) you know the cake is done.
- After removing the cake from the pan let it cool.
- 1 packet instant pudding mix, or custard powder of your choice. I use JELL-O instant pudding mix (vanilla flavor)
- Follow the the direction of the package to make a flowing custard or pudding and cool it in the refrigerator for about 2 hrs
Bringing Them All Together
- 1 can fat free whipped cream
- 1 can pineapple chunks 20oz
- 1cup sliced banana
- 1 cup sliced red grape
- 1 cup sliced green grape
- For Garnishing
- 1 bottle of canned cherries
- Take a dessert bowl make a layer of cake.
- Pour the cold pudding over it so the pudding covers all the cake pieces
- Now sprinkle some pineapple juice you get from the canned pineapple and make a layer of fruits.
- Cover it up with whipped cream.
- Again start making a layer with cake pieces followed by pudding, juice, fruits and whipped cream. Continue doing till you utilize all your ingredients. Make sure to finish it up with a layer of whipped cream (top most layer).
- Garnish it with fresh fruits and cherries.
- Set in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 hrs.
Your trifle pudding is now ready to be served.