Today a Bengali marriage feast is less about bong food and more of international fare. Food like noodles, kebabs have become mainstay. Not so long ago that place was held by the likes of fish kalia.
Kalia is generally made with Rohu but can be replaced with other sweet water fish like Katla. The bigger and fatter the fish, the better.
- 6 pieces rui or catla or any carp
- 2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 1 large pureed
- 2 medium potatoes each cut into 4 long wedges
- Yogurt - 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder or paprika powder - 2 tsp
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- Coriander leaves
- Green chilies - 3,4
- Bay leaf - 2,3
- Cinnamon stick - 1'
- Green cardamom - 2
- Clove - 3,4
- Wash the fish pieces and smear with turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok till it smokes. Fry the potato wedges. Remove from the oil and keep it.
- Shallow fry the fish pieces till they are golden brown on both the sides. Discard the oil you used to fry the fish.
- Now heat rest of the oil and temper it with bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and clove. As soon as they start sputtering add half a spoon of sugar to it. It will give the gravy a bright red hue due to caramelization.
- Now add onion to it and keep on frying on medium heat till it turns reddish brown. You can add a pinch of salt to the chopped onion while frying,. It helps the onion to be cooked faster.
- Now add raisins and keep sautéing till they turns golden.
- Remove and make a paste of them.
- Take 2 tsp. oil in the wok and add tomato puree. Fry it till oil separates from the spice.
- Add ginger garlic paste to it. Sauté till their raw smell goes away. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, onion raisin paste to it. Fry till you see that oil is getting separated out.
- Lower the heat and add beaten yogurt to it. Mix well. Add fried potato wedges and mix it well so that each of them are well coated with spice.
- Add one cup of warm water along with salt.
- Once the gravy starts boiling and the potato is just done add fried fish pieces. Allow it to cook on high heat till the gravy thickens.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green chilies.
Best served with steaming white rice…4