All the memories are rushing back to me. Memories of the college days, of the sun drenched summer afternoons in Kolkata, of sitting beside the lake in a gang, and having matka kulfi. We used to love having those Kulfis especially some from our gang who loved the bhang strained ones (cannabis leaf).
Enough of nostalgia, lets get down to business and make some Kulfi to re-live those days…
- Sweetened condensed milk 14oz
- Milk 20oz
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4t unsalted pistachio skinned and coarsely ground
- 1/4th cup Almond skinned and coarsely ground
- Saffron few strands soaked in warm milk
- Blend the cornstarch in 1/4th cup of milk and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and pour the condensed milk into it. Pour the remaining milk and give it a stir.
- Add the saffron strands and bring this mixture to a boil. Stir it continuously to prevent burning at the bottom
- Once it starts boiling add the corn starch mixture to it and turn off the heat. Let it cool down to room temperature
- Now add chopped pistachio and almond to it. Mix it well. Pour it into the Kulfi molds and place them in the freezer for at least 5-6 hrs.
- To serve remove the kulfi from the molds by running the sharp edges of the knife around the kulfi and carefully slide each of them on a dessert plate.
In case you don’t have kulfi mold, use popsicle molds available in US stores or online at Amazon.