Our visit to the local Asian store Uwajimaya was pretty fruitful or rather fishful. We got some excellent Pomfrets. This is how I cooked them as traditional bengali fish curry.
- Pomfret - 2 large size cut into 4to 6 steak like pieces
- Tomato - 2 large
- Garlic Paste of 3 /4 cloves
- Fresh corriander leaves
- Green chili - 3/4
- Turmeric powder
- Chili powder
- Kalo jeera / Kalonji
- Wash the fish steaks and keep it dry. Now add turmeric powder and salt to it. Keep it aside for sometime.
- Take a frying pan and heat the oil. I prefer to use mustard oil but you can go ahead with canola or sunflower oil. Heat the oil till it starts smoking.
- Now add the fish steaks 1 or 2 pieces at a time and fry it till all the sides become light golden brown. Remove the steaks from the oil.
- Discard the oil which you have used for frying.
- Take oil in the kadai / frying pan and heat it.
- Temper it with kalonji and green chili.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle little salt to it.
- Cook it in medium heat till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add the garlic paste, turmeric powder and chili powder.
- Cook it till the raw smell of the garlic paste goes away.
- Now add water to it. Once the water starts boiling add the fried fish steaks and add salt and a pinch of sugar to it
- Add chopped coriander leaves and slit green chilies. Keep it covered for a minute and it is ready to be served with steaming hot white rice..